Friday, May 27, 2011

The Hydroponic Ebb and Flow System -1/2 is working!

The Hydroponic Ebb and Flow tale is holding
nutrient solution for the first time!
I fixed the fittings on the reservoir for the ebb and flow system. The only nutrient solution that leaks is from the fitting where the pump meets the table. It's currently not a problem because the reservoir is right under the leak.


I increased the size of the main reservoir. I'm leaning towards getting a second pump and a fourth trash barrel to run the two sides of the hydroponic system separate from one another. I'm waiting to test the system full of plants so I can determine the actual amount of nutrient solution I need the reservoirs to hold.

Disregard the water on the floor I fixed the leaks





I need to install a depth gauge on each reservoir, since each barrel goes right to the underside of the ebb and flow table. I would like to measure the amount of nutrient solution that enters the system and mark the amount on the depth gauge. I could still use a "T" to allow for draining the system (likely 50' of 3/4 inch tubing, too).

I need to turn down the pump to a lower setting. When the fluid reached top of the drainage tube, it currently is not draining as quick as it fills. Easy fix.

I adjusted the pump so fill matches drain.


Some plants are in. I have only enough plant starts to fill about half of the table (currently). This half is operating well, except for the leak at the pump fitting. It's fine, because it leaks into the reservoir, but I should get some product on it to preserve the wood underneath.

Pieces I need...
Maybe one more reservoir barrel and fittings for it (if I go this route, I don't need any additional tubing, as I can use what I have, including shutoff valves. I would only need new fittings to create drainage to empty the system of nutrient solution.

Maybe a bag of clay pellets to fill the bottom of the table about 1/2 inch deep to solve the issue with standing water. i would likely mount a couple of aerating stones to the bottom of the table, too.

Some sort of spray seal or caulking material for the table fittings. I'm slightly worried that they will break trying to remove them and may need to be replaced.

I need to either move the table (needs to happen at some point since the solar panel on the outside of the building interferes with a couple hours of the direct sunshine), or move some electrical as the pump chord is about 6 inches too short. I'd need to use a power strip, so I can plug in the aeration stones, too. I'm working with some of the other staff to see if we can power the pump with energy from the solar panel.

I need to purchase a timer (or two) and a more hardcore aerator (or two).

I'll be moving some electrical (or the table) to allow for an additional pump and additional aeration to both the hydroponic nutrient solution and the ebb and flow table.

No comments:

Post a Comment